Sunday, March 10, 2013

My BestFriend


Somewhere in Milaor, Camarines Sur, there lived
 a fourth grader boy who
 would follow this route to school everyday:  He has
 to cross the rugged
 plains and cross the dangerous highway where
 vehicles are recklessly
 driving to and from.  Once passed this highway, the
 boy would take a short
 cut by passing by the Church every morning just to
 say Hi to God, and
 faithfully say his, "Magandang umaga po" in Bicol
 dialect.  He was
 faithfully being watched by a Priest who was happy
 to find innocence so
 uplifting in the morning,  
    "Kamusta Andoy!  Papasok ka na?" "Opo padre ... "
 he would flash his
 innocent grin, the priest would be touched.  He was
so concerned that one
 day he talked to Andoy,
    "From school...", he advised "Do not cross the
 highway, you can pass
 through the Church and I can accompany you to the
 other side of the road
 ... that way I can see that you are home safe ...."
    "Thank you father ..."
    "Why don't you go home ... do you stay in this
 church right
 afterschool?"  
    "I just want to say "Hi" to my friend, God," and
 the priest would leave
 the boy to spend time beside the altar, talking by
 himself, but he was
 hiding behind the altar to listen to what this boy
 has to say
 to his heavenly FATHER.
   "You know my math exam was pretty bad today,   but
 I did not cheat -
 although my seatmate is bullying me for notes ... I
 ate one cracker and
 drank my water, Itay had a bad season and all I can
 eat is this
 cracker.  Thank you for this!  I saw a poor kitten
 who was hungry and I
know how  he feels so I gave my last cracker to him
 ... funny but I am not
 that hungry ... Look, this is my last pair of
 slippers ... I may
 have to walk barefooted next week ... you see this
 is about to be broken
 ... but it  is okay ... at least I am still going to
 school ... some says
 we will have  a hard season this month, some of my
 classmates have
 already stopped going to school ... please help them
 get to school again,
 please God? ... Oh, you know, Inay had hit me again,
 it is painful, but I
 know this pain will pass away, at least I still have
 a mother ... God, you
 want to see my bruises? I know you can heal them ...
 here... here and ....
 oh ... blood ... I guess you knew about this one
 huh?  Please don't be mad
 at Inay, she is just tired and she worries for the
 food in our table and my
 schooling that is why she hits us ... Oh, I think I
 am in love ... there's
 this pretty girl in my class, her name is Anita ...
 do you think she will
 like me? Anyway, at least I know you will always
 like me, I don't have to
 be anybody just to please you, you are my very best
 friend!  Hey your
 birthday is two days from now!!!  Aren't you
 excited?  I am! wait till you
 see, I have  a gift for you .... but it is a
 surprise!  I hope you will like it!  Oooops, I have
 to go ..." then he
 stood up and calls out, "Padre, padre, I am finished
 talking to my friend
 ... you can accompany me to the other side of the
 road now"
    This routine happens everyday.  Andoy never
 fails.  Father Agaton shares
 this every Sunday to the people in his church
 because he has not seen a
 very pure faith and trust in God, a very positive
 look
 at negative situations.
    One Christmas day, Father Agaton was sick so he
 could not make it in the
 Church, he was sent to the hospital.  The Church was
 left to 4 manangs who
 would chant the rosary in 1000 miles per hour, would
 not smile and would always find fault in what you
 do, they are also very
 well versed in cursing if you irritate them!  They
 were kneeling, saying
 their kilometric rosary when Andoy, coming from his
 Christmas party,
 playfully dashed in, "Hello God!!!!! I "
   P----!!!!! (a curse) Bata ka!!!! Alam mo nang may
 nagdadasal!!!!!
 Alis!!!!!"
    Poor Andoy was so terrified, "where's Father
 Agaton?  He is supposed to
help me cross the street .... and to be able to
cross the street I will
 have to pass by the back door of this church ... not
 only that, I have to
 greet Jesus-it is His birthday, I have a gift right
 here ...." just as he
 was about to get the gift out of his shirt, the
 manang pulled his shirt and
 threw him out of the church.  "Susmaryosep!!! (does
 a sign of the cross
 fervently) Alis kang bata ka, kung hindi matatamaan
 ka!!! So the boy had no
 choice but to cross the dangerous side of the road
 in front of the church.
    He crossed.  A fast moving bus came in.  There
 was a blind curve.  The
 boy was protecting his gift inside his shirt, so he
 was not looking. There
 was so little time.  Andoy died on the spot.  A lot
 of
 people crowded the poor boy, the body of a lifeless
 young boy ...Suddenly,
 out of nowhere a tall man in pure white shirt and
 pants, a face so mild and
 gentle, but with eyes full of tears... He came and
 carried the boy in His
 arms, He was crying. Curious bystanders nudged the
 man in white, and asked,
 "excuse me sir, are you related to this child?  Do
 you know this child?"
   The man in white, His face mourning and in agony,
 lifted up and answered,
 "He was my bestfriend ... " was all he said.  He
 took the badly wrapped
 gift in the bloody  chest of the lifeless boy, and
 placed it near His
 heart.  He stood up and carried the boy away and
 they both disappeared in
 sight. The crowd
 was curious ...
    On Christmas Eve, Father Agaton learned of the
 shocking news.  He
 visited the house, and wanted to verify about the
 man in white.  He
 consulted the parents of Andoy. "How did you know
 that your son
 died?"
    "A man in white brought him here." sobbed the
 mother.
    "What did he say?"
    The father answered, "He did not say anything.
 He was mourning. We do
 not know him and yet he was very lonely at our son's
 death, as if he knew
 our son very well.  But there was something peaceful
 and
 unexplainable about him.  He gave me my son, and
 then he smiled peacefully.
 He rubbed my son's hair away from his face and
 kissed him on his forehead,
 then he whispered something ..."
    "What did he say?" "He said to my boy ..." the
 father began, "Thank you
 for the gift ... I will see you soon ... you will be
 with me ..." and the
 father of the boy continued, "and you know for a
 while, it felt so
 wonderful... I cried, but I do not know why .... all
 I know is I cried in
 tears of joy ... I could not explain it father, but
 when that man left,
 something peaceful came over me, I felt a deep sense
 of love inside...  I
 could not explain the joy in my heart, I knew my boy
 is in heaven now ...
 but ... tell me father, who is this man that my son
 talks  to everyday  in
 your church, you should know because you are always
 there... except on the
 time of his death ..."
    Father Agaton suddenly felt the tears welling in
 his eyes, with
 trembling knees, he murmurred," ... He was talking
 to no one .... but ....
 GOD...."

No comments:

Post a Comment